Saturday, January 23, 2010

Fruit Smoothie

I've really been wanting to post the last few days but I've been sick. In fact, I've spent the last two days in my pj's. I had all these grand plans for the next post because Shawna, her husband, Ryan and I all decided we wanted to try out Fresh Option Organic Delivery (F.O.O.D). Except instead of getting it delivered I decided I would just pick it up on Wednesday mornings because I'm often in the area and we save $3.

I picked up the first box on Wednesday (I wanted to take a picture of everything in it but I didn't bring my camera with me) and got to meet a few of the folks who work at F.O.O.D. Everyone was really nice and they had some good recipes and organic/local food literature that they kindly offered. I had to wait a few minutes while they finished assembling the box and then I was off, all my produce groceries in tow. By Wednesday I was already feeling sick so I divided up the box as evenly as I could (for example, I gave them the avocado and lemon because I had some at home and took the roma tomato). I ended up doing it at work and dropping their stuff off later that night. When I got home I just wanted to put everything away and totally forgot about taking a picture. Then we started eating it and now a picture of 1/4 of the food that was originally in the box just doesn't seem as impressive. But if you want to know what we ate/are eating you can just have a look at this week's box on the website.

So far, I've been really happy with all the food. It's nice knowing that some of it is local and all of it is organic - and it's also a bit of a challenge thinking up how to use some of the more unusual foods. In the next two days, when I'm hopefully feeling better, I'm planning a stir fry, salt and vinegar cucumber slices, and salsa. Because this is the first time using this service, we decided to try it bi-weekly. It's costing us $47 a week (or bi-weekly for us) which, because Ryan and I split the bills, works out to 11.75 a week per person. I don't know how Shawna and Dylan are finding using up the produce, but I think I could definitely do once a week instead. Further discussions will follow I'm sure.

Either than my excitement about our F.O.O.D. box, I haven't really had much to post because cooking turns into a chore when I'm sick. I keep boxes of Knorr soup in the house just for when I'm sick and that's what I ate yesterday. Soup and potato chips. I still don't feel like cooking today so even though I'm still feeling sick, when my mom invited us to dinner it sounded like a pretty decent deal. However, I did make one thing today. My fruit smoothie! I have this almost every weekday morning before work because it's an easy way to get in some milk and fruit at the start of my day. It's also great for when I'm feeling queezy and sick because it's almost a meal in itself. It's really thick, smooth, and creamy and best of all, no need to add sugar or juice.

Fruit Smoothie
  • 1/2 banana
  • 1 cup frozen fruit (I like frozen berries but anything you like will do)
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil for taste and nutrition (optional)
  • 1 tbsp unpasturized honey
Put all ingredients in a blender (if you have a cheaper blender you may want to defrost the frozen fruit for a while - I just put it in totally frozen). Pulse until well blended, then blend for 30 seconds to 1 minute until completely smooth. Grab a straw and enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Well, we haven't eaten the oranges or honeydew yet (neither of us are very big honeydew fans) but we ate pretty well everything else within a few days. I forgot how much I like beets. I think we could handle weekly no problem. Also, to save you having to cut so much stuff up every week, we should figure out what stuff one of us like more. (for example, that honeydew is all yours)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo, smoothies. Something I can actually make.

    I like to put some plain yogurt in my smoothies, in addition to milk. Maybe I'll add some honey to mine next time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sometimes put some of that liberte yogurt in too. Actually, that yogurt is delicious with honey.

    ReplyDelete