Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Sick Day Soups: Chickpea, Kidney Bean, Parsley Soup

Here in Winnipeg there's a small local chain of restaurants called Stella's. Stella's could very well be my favourite place to grab a bite. They have a big menu but they do a Quiche of the Day and two soups and I almost always end up getting the soup and salad because they always sound delicious. I don't think I've ever been disappointed.

A couple of months ago they were featuring a chickpea parsley soup that was delicious but also seemed pretty re-creatable. Today I was having some bloodsugar issues which generally makes me feel pretty under-the-weather for the whole day. My appetite hasn't been great and I was really craving a quick, easy soup. I looked up a couple of recipes but none of them sounded right so I just winged it.

Chickpea Kidney Bean Parsley Soup
  • 1 can chickpeas, drained
  • 1 can kidney beans, drained
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1/2 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 4 cups veggie broth
  • juice of half a lemon
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
In a medium pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Saute onions and garlic until soft. Add chickpeas, kidney beans, parsley, veggie broth, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Bring to a boil and then let simmer for 20-30 minutes. Use a potato masher, food processor, or blender to mix depending on how thick you want the soup. I used a potato masher and it turned out nicely.

This was the perfect meal for a sick day. I know it's only August 10th and extremely hot and humid in Winnipeg, but this already feels kind of like a fall meal. Eeep! August is flying!

No comments:

Post a Comment