Sunday, October 23, 2011

Surprise!

Not exactly a week, but I've been busy since the last post. I'll have a longer one to follow in the next couple of days with some photos of my new endeavours.

First of all, the Kefir took a few runs to get it right. The first time I let it sit too long; the second time I didn't stir it enough; the third time it seemed just about right and then I went to bed and completely forgot about putting it in the fridge. But finally the fourth time I seemed to find that 7 hours, and hourly stirring after 2 hours is how I like it. I'm not a milk drinker to begin with, so I'm getting my fill with daily morning smoothies.

And last Monday I drove out to Sage Garden Herbs and purchased T5 grow lights, fertilizer, soil, and seeds. I came home, cleared some space on a shelf in the kitchen, drilled the lights on, made some makeshift seedling planters, and set everything up. This is the first time I've ever had a garden on my own so I'm taking it slow. Right now I've just got basil, catnip, oregano, endive, mustard greens, and lettuce. I'll see how those go and I may add more to the mix down the line. About a week after planting the mustard greens and endive are well on their way and sprouting up.

And finally, I was given a slow cooker for my birthday this year and I'd been wanting to try slow cooker pulled pork for ages. So I picked up a 4.5lb pork shoulder roast from Frigs and at 9AM on Saturday I woke up, made the sauce, and put it in for about 10 hours. I wasn't totally crazy about the sauce recipe I used, but either than that, it came out great. Some friends came over to share the food which was nicely capped off with sparkler cones from Sargent Sundae.

Now that Autumn is really in full force here, I'm looking forward to getting cooking with lots of root veggies, and soups, and stews. Time to start keeping warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment