Monday, May 10, 2010

Drive By Post: Avocado Olive Tomato Salsa

I love making salsa. It's so easy and you can throw pretty much anything in there and come out with a tasty dip. We recently enjoyed some taco's so I whipped up some salsa in my food processor. Besides salsa, I also love olives. I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of putting olives in my salsa but mmmmm....this is probably the best salsa I've made. I always like to keep a variety of olives on hand and the taste of all of them mixed together was delicious. I seem to have a sensitivity to tomatoes so I cut the down where ever I can.

Avocado Olive Tomato Salsa
  • 1 avacado
  • 3 small fresh or canned roma tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 6 kalamata olives
  • 6 black olives
  • 6 sun dried olives
  • 2 chopped basil leaves, fresh
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
Put all ingredients in food processor or blender and mix. Adjust seasoning to taste, serve with chips, veggies, taco's, whatever, and enjoy!


Taco's are one of my favourite ways to use up leftover veggies. I used red chard leaves instead of lettuce and fried the chard stock with the ground beef/pork to hide it in as well. We don't buy sour cream very often because it just ends up going bad so plain yogurt works as a nice substitute too.

Things should actually be leveling out in my life in the next week or two. I started my new job and my work and volunteering schedules have finally normalized. Yay! I'm hoping that means I can get into the kitchen more because I feel like my life has been way too much work, a little too much rest, and not nearly enough play.

I'm excited for dinner tomorrow. Standing rib roast, fresh salad, and fiddleheads! I love fiddleheads, they were a surprise this week. I apologize to Shawna and Dylan because I was greedy and took them all, but I gave them extra fruit and veggies!

3 comments:

  1. I've actually never had fiddleheads before. I keep hearing good things about them, but I saw them at Organza the other day, and they didn't look so hot. Do you cook them?

    Also, I made some halfway decent veggie burgers on Sunday, so I'm feeling way less apprehensive about my ability to stay vegetarian during BBQ season.

    Also also, I never thought of putting olives in salsa, but that looks deelicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just eatin olives while I made salsa and a lightbulb went on. Ryan's mom liked it too. I like fiddleheads, just another type of green. We're eating them tonight just sauteed for a few minutes with butter and garlic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Riverside-I am so happy to have found you. Thanks for the blog link. Can I possibly return the favour? I am writing a piece for Dish magazine and they would like me to get opinions from various Winnipeg bloggers. Could you possibly email me at kathryne@picanteads.ca? We also have a lot in common which may not be apparent on my blog-so I would love to share that as well.

    ReplyDelete