Wednesday, May 19, 2010

F.O.O.D. Wednesday: Easy Stir Fry

Ah, Wednesday. Every Wednesday morning I drop Ryan off at work and then zip over to Fresh Option to pick up our box. This week we got a nice, typical mix of food. Y'know, the usual stuff - carrots, broccoli, potatoes, tomatoes, etc.

Getting all our produce at once means we have to be strategic with how we use and store it. We've had a lot of problems with veggies going mushy or soft and rubbery in the fridge. I've read this is because too much moisture escapes from the food. I've also seen a lot of different solutions to try and combat this problem and we settled on trying tin foil. I'd actually never heard of storing produce in tin foil but countless sites on the 'net told me it was the way to go.

And it's true! We started doing this not too long after we signed up with Fresh Option and it still surprises me how long it makes food last. Last Wednesday we got a container of spinach. I love spinach but we didn't get a chance to use much of it over the week. By last Thursday it was already starting to turn, only a day after picking it up. My mom's solution to this problem used to be lining the containers with paper towel. I however, washed up all the spinach, rinsed it off, and wrapped it tightly in some tin foil. Even if there's moisture on the leaves, they somehow take forever to turn. I checked to make sure the spinach was still usable this morning and it looks as fresh as it did a week ago. So if you're having issues with your produce going bad too quickly, try using some tin foil and see how it goes.

Speaking of tin foil, I was keeping some carrots, bok coy, and peppers wrapped up and decided to get rid of the leftovers last night. It was a tasty endeavour.

Easy Stir Fry
  • 1/2 head broccoli, chopped
  • 1/2 cup snow peas, cut in 1/2 or thirds
  • 1/2 cup shredded red cabbage
  • 1 bunch bok choy, stocks julienned, leaves sliced thinly
  • 1/4 cup sliced water chestnuts
  • 1 small onion, sliced thickly
  • 2 carrots, chopped or julienned
  • 1 green pepper, thickly sliced
  • 1-2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or minced
  • 1/2-1/4 soya sauce, gluten free
  • 2 tbsp oyster sauce, gluten free
  • 2 tbsp peanut oil
  • optional meat, tofu, fish, etc - I used the last of our leftover beef roast
In a wok or large frying pan heat your oil to about medium. If using meat, add now. If raw, cook fully before adding veggies. I used leftovers so I just heated the meat for a minute or two. Add garlic and onion, sauteing until the onions start to turn translucent. Add soy sauce and oyster sauce and stir. Add the rest of your veggies and stir well. Once well coated, turn the heat down to simmer and cover for 10 minutes. In the meantime, whip up some rice or quinoa, serve the stir fry on top and enjoy!

This was a really easy, basic thing I threw together yesterday but Ryan really loved it. I wasn't even planning to post the recipe but I figured it was so easy and maybe someone out there needs an easy stir fry recipe.

Tonight I'm looking forward to stopping off at The Forks to pick up some sun dried and kalamata olives as well as some feta cheese from Fenton's. We still have leftover spinach from last week and I picked up some lettuce so I'm thinking about a nice greek salad with grilled chicken breast. We also got strawberries again this week! Last time the strawberries tasted amazing. Maybe I'll pick up some whipping cream and we can just have strawberries and whipped cream for dessert.

I also STILL haven't figured out gardening stuff either. I let it slip by the wayside and now it's THE long weekend - I mean the one where everyone plants their gardens. I could have done it weeks ago but that's what happens when you procrastinate. I'll have an update soon though!

No comments:

Post a Comment