Wednesday, May 12, 2010

F.O.O.D. Wednesdays

Now that my routine is getting more normal I had some time over the weekend to do some cooking. I've been fairly busy in the kitchen and feeling more inspired again. In the last week I've:

  • broken down a chicken, and froze all but one breast that we ate last week

  • made 18 cups of chicken stock that I've been freezing, giving away, and using too

  • made the new salsa

  • used 6 or 7 cups of stock to make my lemon rice soup

  • made pancakes

  • and last night cooked a standing prime rib roast, gravy, mashed potatoes, salad, and fiddleheads
I don't know about everywhere else, but Winnipeg has had some not-so-great weather for the last week or two. All the rain has made everything beautifully green and trees are flowering but it's so hard to motivate yourself to do anything when it's so gray out. I spent most of my time running around between work and my volunteer position and then coming home and crashing in front of the TV watching episodes of The Wire, 30 Rock, and Weeds. Very productive. But the weekend is supposed to lovely! It's supposed to be +14 today and they're hoping for mid-twenties by Sunday. There's something about the shining sun that just motivates me. I even went for a run yesterday after a much-too-long-hiatus.

I've also, again, been eating out a lot more. Since I'm realizing that I'm quite a busy person I've been trying to make more lunch or dinner dates. On Monday I took my mom out to Viva, our very favourite Vietnamese restaurant that I know I've mentioned. I think I've been there once a month since November. They have the best spring rolls I've ever had. We don't like to deal with the crowds on Mother's Day so I saw her on Saturday and took her out on Monday and we spent the afternoon hanging out and shopping together. Yesterday my friend Aimee came and picked me up from work to eat at Mondragon. I can't get enough of that Southern Fried Tofu sandwich, gluten-free of course.

Tonight we're going to enjoy some leftover hot roast beef sandwiches and maybe a spinach salad. Between the leftover produce from last week, and the goodies we I picked up today I'm thinking a nice stir fry needs to be cooked up. We've got bok choy, snow peas, broccoli, beef, broccoli sprouts, peppers, carrots, and celery.

No comments:

Post a Comment